An ongoing project by Blanca Martinez de Rituerto and Joe Sparrow.

Follow us on our offical Facebook page!

Buy Our Books!

Sunday 30 September 2012

Ixitxachitl


Yet another monster with those names I either constantly have looked up or be ready to copy paste. Looked up if it was based on or inspired by some mesoamerican monster, but it doesn't seem to be.

These dudes are manta rays with a bad disposition. And that's pretty much the beginning and end of it. When I first saw them I was hoping they were gonna be some kind of aboleth-like creature but they are literally intelligent four-foot long manta rays. The Demon Lord Demogorgon just gathered a bunch of these little fellas up and gave them smarts and a superiority complex. They're not even stingrays (no poison), they're just kinda slippery and mean. I've attempted to give them something a little more to their look so they have tell-tale signs of demonic influence. Some of them are called Vampiric Ixitxachitl, which aren't undead, just a subspecies that can feed off your life energy.

They should make for an interesting early-level enemy for your underwater campaign, instead of relying on kuo-toa and sahuagins. Plus your players may not think too much of the innocent little ray that's lying in the sand. Then come the negative levels.

4 comments:

  1. Check out Elder Evils and the Leviatan for some cool Ixitxachitl evilnes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just discovered this blog. These are fantastic!!! Any plans to make your own monster folio or fiend tomb? Or ... I dunno a children's book or any some such thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sometimes make postcards or prints to sell at some expos here in England. I keep wanting to print out a book, collection or calendar or something, but become worried about incurring the wrath of the Wizards. Joe has a comic with more of his lovely art called Omnipathy which you should check out: http://omnipathy.blogspot.co.uk/

      Delete
  3. I don't know why, but ever since I saw the Trampier illustration of these guys in the Monster Manual I've thought they were awesome. I'm not exactly sure why they stuck in my brain all these years, as a monster they don't do a whole lot and I've never actually got to use one in a game since they are completely limited to undersea adventures... but dammit I still think they are awesome! (Demogorgon does too)
    Love the more alien direction you went here, with the extra eyes and the vertical mouth. The barbles/antennae are a nice touch as well.

    ReplyDelete