An ongoing project by Blanca Martinez de Rituerto and Joe Sparrow.

Follow us on our offical Facebook page!

Buy Our Books!

Monday 13 September 2010

Necronaut


A Necronaut is a terrifying sight. Summoned as servants by Demons of the outer planes, they are formed from thousands of undead souls bound together in a colossal, clambering ziggurat of death from which long, bony arms protrude and hoist them on their destructive journeys. Necronauts are employed as a demonstration of brute necromantic might, requiring a huge amount of dead to summon and inhuman will to control.

A lot of undead creatures are just dead versions of living things - human skeleton, orc zombie, etcetera etcetera. What I really like are the more inventive necromantic creations that only things like Demons can pull off. This was fun to draw - I feel like I could have made it look a little corpsier but I just got to a point where I liked the way it looked.

6 comments:

  1. Love the blog name, and I'd be happy to do a post on this at Monster Brains in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome, thanks! i love monster brains, really good for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Joe. We've both been reading Monster Brains for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always loved the imagery of a shambling near ethereal wall of pulsating faces, tormented souls and cruel grasping hands. I think it's one of those truly terrifying monsters, and I love how this came out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colours and linework are great!

    ReplyDelete